7 arrested to quell three-month wave of homicide and mayhem, prosecutor says

Homicide, stabbings, carjackings, assault and armed robbery — for three months authorities say members of a major gang carried out a wave of crime and mayhem mostly throughout Middlesex County.

An investigation into the crime wave has resulted in the arrests of seven gang members on a myriad of charges, including murder and armed robbery, Middlesex County Prosecutor Andrew C. Carey and New Brunswick police Director Anthony Caputo announced in a statement.

The crime spree, officials said Wednesday, began on the night of Sept. 7 with a shooting on Throop Avenue in New Brunswick.

Three days later, a gas station was robbed on French Street in New Brunswick.

Then, on Sept. 16, at 2:40 a.m., an attempted carjacking took place on Beachwood Court, in the Monmouth Junction-section of South Brunswick.

Three days after that, at about 9:30 p.m. another shooting occurred on Throop Avenue in New Brunswick, resulting in three men being wounded. They were taken to Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Brunswick, and all three survived.

“The mayhem continued,” according to officials, into October when seven shots were fired on Oct. 15 at about 2:30 a.m. on Delavan Street in New Brunswick. However, no one was struck by the flying bullets.

Two hours later, a robbery turned into an attempted murder when a gas station attendant was shot in South Brunswick. The attendant was taken to Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital and survived.

As part of the three-month crime wave, a gas station attendant was shot Oct. 15, 2017 at 4:15 a.m. at the BP gas station at 3612 Route 27, according to the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office. (Photo provided by South Brunswick police) 

Then on Oct. 26, at 1:34 a.m., a stabbing occurred on George Street in New Brunswick, causing one man to be hospitalized. The man survived.

A fatal shooting then occurred in Camden on Nov. 28 on Atlantic Avenue. One of the gang members allegedly involved in several of the other crimes was allegedly involved in that shooting, which killed 30-year-old Stanford Brown, of Lawnside, in Camden County.

Finally, on Nov. 29, at about 10 p.m., a motor vehicle stop resulted in the arrest of one of the gang members who was in the vehicle and ultimately charged with weapons possession.

Two others in the car were also arrested and charged after two more firearms were found, including a shotgun.

“I thank and commend the many dedicated law enforcement officers and special agents whose efforts led to the arrests,” said Carey in the statement. “When addressing violent gang activity, results like these are only possible with multi-agency coordination, and the sharing of resources. This investigation’s conclusion has resulted in a safer community.”

The following people were arrested and charged between Nov. 29 and Dec. 1. for their alleged roles in the various crimes:

  • Anthony Pinson aka Smoke, 25, of Franklin Park in Somerset County — attempted murder, conspiracy to commit murder, robbery,…

Source link